- The INSLM welcomes participation in the current review of the Telecommunications and other Legislation Amendment (Assistance & Access) Act 2018 (TOLA Act) of interested persons and institutions. For further information regarding this review please refer to the Current Reviews page.
- On Tuesday 2 April The Government tabled the INSLM’s report to the Prime Minister covering the prosecution & sentencing of children for Commonwealth Terrorism Offences, and also the INSLM’s annual report for 2017-2018. Read Reviews and Reports for the details of the Children’s report.
If you feel you have expertise and relevant advice that would assist the INSLM in his functions please feel free to make contact with the INSLM office.
On 26 March the Chair Mr Andrew Hastie MP, on behalf of the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security ( PJCIS) referred for INSLM review and report by 1 March 2020 "A review of the operation, effectiveness and implications of amendments made by the Telecommunication and Other Legislation Amendment ( Assistance and Access) Act 2018.
The PJCIS issued a Media Release highlighting the Committee's referral of the Telecommunications and other Legislation Amendment (Assistance and Access) Act 2018 to the INSLM. Read the media release here
Submisions to the current review have been extended by the INSLM until 1 November. Read the media release here.
- On Thursday 18 July 2019 the INSLM delivered an address at the Australian Institute of Administrative Law, "Monitoring Australia's national security and counter-terrorism laws in the 21st century." Please view the INSLMs address here.
- On Wednesday 12 June the INSLM delivered an address at the Lowy Institute "Encryption and citizenship stripping legislation: Are Australia's latest security laws necessary and proportionate?". Read or listen to the address and Q&A for more information.
- As part of his review into the terrorism-related citizenship loss provisions, the INSLM attended a round-table seminar at the Bingham Rule of Law Centre in London on Friday 10 May. Read the full summary of the proceedings for more information.